Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Vanilla Bean Flan

Well,  let's talk flan today!  Ok, so, shame on me...I've actually never had flan before.  I've always been more of a creme brulee kind of gal...However, in my defense, I did order one when I was at Porto's Bakery a few weeks ago.  They just forgot to pack it for me... must've forgotten in their attempt to pack my dozens of cheese rolls.  Forgivable...but still...puts me into a dilemma.  So, I did attempt to try one...Anyways, I went on to make flan, since it was a request and also a dessert I have yet to try my hands at.  And for those who know me best, you know how I love to please y'alls!  So keep them coming!  Here's to flan!
I had some trouble getting the flan to come out clean...this was as good as it was going to get that day!  In fact, I had ruined about half a dozen flans, just to go back and use the first one I dug out.   Not too terrible, but it could definitely be better.  I know it doesn't change the taste of the flan, but it still bothered the OCD side of me.  Anyways, don't you just love the scatters of vanilla beans specks??  I just think vanilla bean specks elevate anything to a new level.  There is just a subtle elegance to vanilla. Love!  So, overall, I thought this flan tasted ok.  I still need to go sample flans from other bakeries to get a feel for the texture and taste...but this one was almost like a firm, heavier creme brulee...it certainly had similar ingredients!  I've always thought flan, traditionally, was made with condense milk and evaporated milk.  So, I did change the ingredients to include evaporated milk.  Not sure if that did anything for my flan...but it ended up tasting ok.  At least I thought so!  Guinea pigs, feel free to chime in!

Thanks for stopping by!  Look out for my apple galette with salted caramel post...coming soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home