Thursday, February 23, 2012

Hello, Kitty


Just to let you all know, I am in between my last batch of macarons for the day!  I thought instead of sitting around watching my macs dry, I'll come and blog about the second post I had promised from yesterday.  Today's fun post is about the adorable Hello Kitty.  Yes, she is super cute and can be made into just about anything...macarons included.  Amazing, right?  I was a bit daunted making Hello Kitty macs...macs are finnicky enough shaped regularly and here I was, trying to make cat shaped ones.  And for those of you who've made macs before, you knooow the extent of mac making.  They are the prima donnas of cookies.  Very high maintenance and very intolerable to slight changes.  And knowing all this, I still went ahead without my instinct of double checking my notes (I haven't made macs in a while), and somewhat screwed up my macs.  It was only a difference of 30 grams too much almond meal and 30 grams too less of powdered sugar!  And what a difference that made!  See, when I got to the macaronnage part, I knew something didn't look right.  My batter didn't turn very runny (especially after the amount of time I folded the batter).  That still didn't phase me, but I still got a little suspicious.  It was when the macs are baking in the oven that my eyebrows really lifted.  Usually after about 7-8 minutes, the foot would have started to form.  Well, these macs have been in the oven for over 10 and nothing formed.  Hmm...I thought...maybe it's this oven...(it sucked).  So, another 8 minutes goes by and I barely get a foot on my macs...they were trying very hard to appear for me, but I suspect the extra weight from the almond meal hindered their rise.  I was a bit disappointed as I haven't really blundered on macs like this since I first started baking macs.  Ah well...they still ended up looking ok, but I had higher hopes for these Hello Kitty macs.


So I drew Hello Kitty's face on the macs.  I am definitely drawing impaired.  Seriously, right?  I mean, at first, I thought...Well, how hard can it be??  REALLY...it's Hello Kitty.  She's got 2 oval eyes, an oval yellow nose, and 3 pairs of straight line whiskers.  HOW HARD CAN THAT BE??  Hmph...it was actually quite taxing for me.  And seriously...it was harder than I thought!  Making cat ears and macs wasn't as hard as drawing Hello Kitty's face!  I know, it's really sad, but seriously, I can't draw stick figures right, let alone Hello Kitty!  Overall, I was pleased (except for the macaron ratio incident) with my first attempt at Hello Kitty.  She is definitely a lot more work than your average macaron, but well worth it in cuteness points!  And what's better than one Hello Kitty mac?...a whole bunch all together!


Meow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home