Monday, July 11, 2011

Limes, Champagne, Feathers and Zebras

Aaahhh...the weather is finally back to California coastal weather.  It's a nice cool, gloomy day....you know, one of those days that merit a lazy day in with a steaming cup of coffee :) Usually I'm all for the sunshine, but last week was a killer week...crazy sunshine combined with unusual humidity!  So, I'm super happy that the weather is back to normal!  Anywhoo, despite the crazy weather we had last week, I am happy to say that I was still able to pull off a two tiered cake for S' birthday bash.
SO, how did limes, champagne, feathers and zebras end up together?  Well, they all played a part in S' birthday bash...well, at least the dessert parts!  I had tried several new ideas for her birthday.  Remember those champagne cupcakes?  Yep..those were trial cupcakes for S' birthday cake...I had to make sure that they were tasty enough to make!  Secondly, I decided to play around with fondant again...I was pretty  happy with how my birthday cake had turned out but had learned a few things about fondant at that time and decided to try it out again, knowing what I know now from doing it previously.  And lastly, I decided to do a two-tiered cake.  I haven't really dabbled with multiple layers, but since S was having a huge bash, I decided to make a bigger cake to feed her crowd!

I couldn't really do pretty flowers and lace (and the likes) because S isn't really a flower and lace kinda gal.  She is spicy and fun and chill and crazy...all in one! :) (that's a complement S ;) hehee..Anywhoo, for some reason, zebras popped up (not that S reminds me of a zebra...but the idea of zebras...again, S...it's a complement!) LOL...Zebras are fun, wild and crazy..perfect for S!  Good thing she loooves zebras too...see, it was meant to be ;)  And of course, I had to make it extravagantly over the top by adding feathers to the top! =D  For some reason, it was just sooo S!

Now, where does the lime come into the picture?  Well, I decided that a cake just isn't enough (oh yeah, I brought in some home-made baklava and those fabulous raspberry cheesecakes too!)...but yes, in my opinion, that just wasn't enough sweets!  So, I made some vanilla-lime cupcakes with whipped cream frosting garnished with candied lime zests!
I know, I know...I have problems...but hey, what can I say..I heart sweets!!  And the more the merrier!! :)  I had a lot of fun concocting all these goodies...especially for my family and friends!
 Ah HAH!!  THAT'S who did it!! ;)  We've got evidence now!  LOL....
Awww...isn't S cute?  :)  Thanks S for allowing me the opportunity to practice on ya!  Love ya much and hope you had a fantabulous birthday party!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous sharon sengchan said...

wow!!! love the cake and everything else you made!!! great job!!

July 11, 2011 at 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home