Monday, June 6, 2011

Banana Raised Donuts with Chocolate Glaze

Oh, the irony of me whippin up some home-made donuts of my own!  Why is it ironic, you ask?  I was born into a family of donut shop owners!!  Seriously, pretty much my whooole family (on both sides of the family) owns a donut shop of some sort!  And nooo, it doesn't sound as fun as you might think!  Everywhere I looked, there were donuts!  I remembered wondering why we couldn't have a bakery, one that included baked goods other than donuts =/  but nope, it was not to be... =(
I never really ate donuts... I mean, I was practically raised in our donut shop!  My mom kept telling me about my trouble-making at the donut shop.  I remember her telling me about how I "helped" out when I was a toddler.  My mom would be busy helping customers and I would be hanging out in the back.  Of course, being young as I was, I couldn't resist all those donuts back there!!  Apparently, when my mom went back and checked up on me, I had licked off the frosting, and only the frosting, of many donuts (ok, ok....all the donuts that were left in the back, I had licked....especially those with sprinkles..)
That was a loooong time ago.  Since then, I didn't really have too many donuts.  It wasn't until I left home for college that I started to crave our donuts.  Even then, when I come home and visit, I don't really eat much....until I came home from college for good!  For some reason, I craved a donut and had one...one that I usually don't eat...and it was delicious!  And that, my friends, started it all.  I got into a slight craze where I'd have to try donuts from everywhere I go!...you know, just to compare to our donuts...I must say, I was a bit obsessed!  And since that time, I still haven't been able to shake off my donut obsession.  I have since moved away from home, again...and this time, the drive is a bit too far to head home because of a crave for donuts!  So, what's my solution?  Why, make my own at home, of course!  I was a bit tickled at this thought.  I mean, I've made donuts at the donut shop before...it wasn't exactly what one would call fun...yet, I was eager to make donuts from home...=/ I know, weird, huh?
SO, I bought a donut cutter a couple months ago.  I was kind of hesitant to make donuts because of the yeast and mess that comes with making donuts.  I've made a few batches of cake donuts with a donut pan (these donuts are then baked in the oven) but it didn't quite taste like a donut...it had a sense of cake taste to it, but to me, donuts need to be fried!  So, finally, I found a recipe for a banana donut and it was intriguing to me and I decided to try it out. 
I'm not quite sure if I didn't add enough flour or not, since the dough didn't quite rise as much.  But, meh..still tastes alright.  Also, my darn thermometer must've been off, because my donuts are a bit too dark for my liking :(  It could also be that the donuts got dark because of the banana in the dough...=/ who knows..It was probably a combination of both.  I was super excited about the donut holes that results from the donut cutter!  Aren't they cute?  I also added some pecans and walnuts to some of my chocolate glaze, since this banana raised donuts kind of reminds me of banana bread (and I like my banana bread with nuts!).  I left some with just plain chocolate too... both were pretty delish!
Aaahh...the nostalgia of donuts :) Takes me right back to my childhood...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Sharon Sengchan said...

Those are the yummiest looking donuts ever! mouth-watering!

June 6, 2011 at 10:55 PM  
Blogger Sweets for the Sweet by Linda said...

They were pretty good...a different version of banana bread!

June 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM  
Anonymous Suzanne Lim said...

Yep, donuts need to be fried--that's one reason why it's so good! I can also imagine your mom catching you licking the frosting, hahaha!

June 7, 2011 at 12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home