Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yesterday was a very special day for me.  I was invited to a very special school in Pasadena, CA to teach some very special kids how to bake.  Ms. G, the teacher of Classroom 2 and my friend from back in the days, is definitely not a baker...not even an amateur baker!  When she told me of the horror stories of the baking escapades that occurred in Classroom 2, I was shocked and horrified and totally feel her kids' pain!  (Sorry, Ms. G, but I just have to tell some of those stories!...no worries though, you shall remain anonymous! LOL).
Here goes:  Ms. G has a lot of baking stories, but this one I found both hilarious and sad at the same time!  It's THE brownie incident.  So, Ms. G's brownies started from a box.  No worries, Ms. G, I forgive you ;) She measured everything and followed the directions on the box, down to the T!  Crossing her fingers, she put her pan into the preheated oven and pretty much prayed that the brownies come out right.  I mean, there were students with shining eyes just waiting the whole day for these brownies!  As the aroma of freshly baked chocolatey goodness started to wafe throughout the classroom, Ms. G felt a sense of accomplishment and relaxed her guard.  "Yes!" she thought..."there WILL be brownies today!"  As the time came up for the brownies to come out, Ms. G thought "hmmm, I usually like my brownies a little bit chewier and crispy around the edges."  So, she set the timer for another couple minutes and didn't stay by the oven's side to wait it out.  (Oooh boy, Ms. G....wrong move!)  The next thing she knew, she opened up the oven when the timer went off, and was greeted by burnt, hard brownies!  Oh dear...those poor, poor children!  Ms. G, you  were so close!  "Don't worry, children," she said, "I'll promise to bring you something tomorrow!!"  And that's the story of Ms. G's baking luck!...

But now, Ms. G has me!  Ms. G's the teacher and I'm the baker!  I offered her my services and love the chance at teaching kids the wonderful world of baking!  Last time, the kids and I made chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting.  This time around, I decided to show them how to make chocolate chip cookies.
 The kids had a blast making these cookies!  Many of them wanted to eat the cookie dough and lick the spoons!  I decided not to bring the KitchenAid mixer this time and thought we could just use man power to mix up the batter.  As we started adding chocolate chips and nuts, the batter got thicker and thicker!  Boy, it took all the kids to mix the cookie dough!!
 Can you believe how perfect these cookies came out?  The kids did a fantastic job helping out!  It was a good thing Ms. G had some milk in the fridge!  Milk, chocolate chip cookies, and a movie was the perfect ending to a long Monday!
Cheers to Ms. G and chocolate chip cookies!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sharon Sengchan said...

Ms. G sure knows how to make them cookies!!!

May 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home