Monday, October 10, 2011

Pink for Breast Cancer

Happy Monday dear readers!...well, as happy as  Monday could possibly be...Although I guess some of you are more happy than others, seeing as it's a somewhat holiday and many have the day off.  I most certainly didn't.  I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but my family has a donut business in San Diego, and with my recent move back home, I've also moved back into a job helping out at the donut shop.  My true passion lies in baking (as if you couldn't tell..) and I could seriously see myself catering weddings and parties...that is the path I would like to travel...and who knows, maybe it will lead me into my own storefront, where I can expand my passion...ahh, the dream!  Anywho, so I'm back t the family donut shop now and I've decided that I would like to change things around a bit.  It wouldn't hurt to add new products and make whatever products we have now better.  So, I don't know if many of you have seen a lot of beautiful sugar cookie art before...I've seen some, whether it be in person, online, or in books, and I LOVE them!!  Of course, they always look sooo simple to make, but in reality, they are very difficult!!  So, my bright idea, since I'm in love withth ideas of sugar cookies, was to start putting in sugar cookies for the holidays.  How I will manage this with a 13 hour work schedule (Monday through Friday) was beyond me, but I somehow got it done!  It's a great idea in my head so far, and I've gotten around to my first batch of cookies...let's see how well they sell!

So, it is October and as we all know, October is breast cancer awareness month.  This year, breast cancer awareness has struck a cord with me as breast cancer has struck closer to home.  It's made me realize that this can really happen to anyone!  So, I've made efforts to play a  part in donating to cancer research.  I've decided that this first batch of cookies that will be sold will be the breast cancer ribbon and that proceeds will be donated to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.  It's a small effort, but at least it's something!
It all started with this pretty pink ribbon cookie cutter that I bought a while back.  I have a thing for cookie cutters, and especially the color coated cutters (and especially this one because it's a very pretty pink!).  I know, I know...the pink gets me every time!  What I loved about this cutter compared to others that I've seen is that the hole in the middle is attached to the entire cutter.  This way, I do not have to worry about losing that middle piece or getting a different center with each cut.  It was definitely worth the extra money!
Meh..see what I mean about sugar cookies being hard to decorate?  These were supposed to be simple ribbons too...I think you just have to glance at them real quick, but once you lolligag on a cookie, it's all over then!
Ahh...my skills will pick up, I promise!  In the meantime, I hope everyone is aware out there and plays a part in helping to find a cure!

2 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

i wish i could send a telepathic memo to everyone..these cookies. are. good!!!! like, not just look good, but taste good!

October 12, 2011 at 12:34 AM  
Blogger Sweets for the Sweet by Linda said...

Yes they are!! :)

October 14, 2011 at 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home